Cooking Class Lead Host – Victoria
Posting Date: March 1, 2019
Location: Victoria – 1317 Blanshard Street
Position Start Date: ASAP
As the Cooking Class Lead Host you act as the supervisor of Cook Culture’s kitchen and are responsible for ensuring that our cooking classes and private events meet our service standards, leaving a positive impression of Cook Culture and our events. The typical cooking class team is made up of a chef, for the instruction, and a few volunteers to assist the chef in preparation and clean-up. Your primary role is to hands-on manage the events, co-ordinate the volunteers, and communicate with the other Kitchen Hosts so that the team is best set up to meet our service standards. This is a fun and dynamic role requiring a high energy person!
- Maintain overall cleanliness and operation of the kitchen environment (extra deep cleaning will be required)
- Manage and shop for basic stock levels in the kitchen pantry
- Contact point for volunteers
- Scheduling other kitchen hosts
- Train new hosts and volunteers
- Set up the kitchen and seating space for class events
- Interact with class guests
- Facilitate the sale of product during the event; must develop product knowledge and the ability to easily locate all store inventory for sale
- Support the chef and volunteers throughout the evening (including prep work and cleaning)
- Close and secure the till and store at the end of class
- Print recipes, class lists, and create name badges
- Comfortable using Gmail for communication and accessing shared information
- Maintain kitchen equipment inventory and pantry list
- Communicate updates needed for the volunteer list
Our cooking classes have two busy seasons, mid-September to December and January to March/April. The expectation of hours required can be three-quarters to full time in the busy months to one-third to half time in the quieter time. Classes are primarily held in the evening so being able to work evenings and weekends is required. You will also be required to spend time outside of classes, on pantry and kitchen maintenance; as well as, kitchen scheduling. You should be confident on the computer, able to easily email, access shared files, input info on spreadsheets, and do basic word processing.
It is expected that you will also be available to work shifts on the retail floor, so you will have a solid understanding of our POS program and product knowledge along with sales procedures, returns, inventory and class booking procedures. During the busy holiday retail season, you will be required to pick up additional shifts on the retail floor.
You will ensure all volunteer shifts are covered, being the contact point for changes within 48 hours of class. You are responsible for ensuring the kitchen is stocked and runs efficiently. Any concerns regarding kitchen hosts, kitchen equipment, chefs, and volunteers is reported to the Director of Culinary Operations.
Note: Our facilities come in contact with all types of foods. We cannot guarantee there will be no cross-contamination. In this position, handling all types of food is a requirement.
Please forward a cover letter telling us why you would make a fantastic host, along with a CV to email@example.com